Sunday 30 June 2013

Country Harbour Ferry

It's hard to believe I'm still on Saturday, 22nd June 2013, having started at Sheet Harbour, then drive to Glenelg, onwards to Sherbrooke and finally it's the drive to a remote B&B for the night.  First I have a brisk drive to catch the Country Harbour Ferry, which is really in the middle of nowhere!  You can find location here on Google Maps  or about the ferry on Nova Scotia Provincial Ferries
























The ferry runs hourly at the half hour, I was the only car waiting, then the only car on board for the crossing.  It's a cable ferry with two crew who told me cable the cable ferry was easier to maintain and cheaper to run than a normal ferry.  However, the crew seemed more interested in my (well Mr. Hertz) Jeep Compass (Northern Edition).  They said this model it was only launched recently and that was first they had seen. Just checked on internet and it's best in class 4x4 at a price in Canada of around £12,000 !!! 

There's no population on the land either side of the ferry although just a few scattered houses as I head for my B&B.  I'm certainly glad I'm in this vehicle, the road is in poor condition, unpaved roads are far better.  Later I'm told this section hasn't been touched for 50 years and who am I to dispute that fact? It's about 30 miles to Charlos Cove, which is a very small remote community with my B&B about half a mile down a track by the sea.
























The view from my window and similar from the dining room


Seawind Landing, Charlos Cove is without doubt the best B&B I have been to in my travels. Dave & Ann Marie welcomed me as though a long lost member of their family, nothing was too much trouble.  Their small restaurant provides not just for residents but also those just looking for a meal, including locals, the nearest place to eat otherwise is over an hour away!

 Whilst I was the only person there that night, they had been full the previous night, I was still offered a wide range of exquisite meals for dinner, and again at breakfast too.  Dave has created a signature dish as one of the great breakfast offerings, so how could I resist? 

It's Blueberry stuffed French toast broulee and it's absolutely superb !




















The day that ended at Seawind Landing Country Inn was a very long one.  I had started at Sheet Harbour, been to Glenelg, then Sherbrooke Village. Then the final leg by way of Country Harbour Ferry to get to Charlos Cove.  You can check the route and locations on shown on Google maps  It's 215km / 135 miles, but with the places I visited, the remote and winding roads, it seemed a lot more!  If I was to do that again I feel sure I would have split it over a couple of days.  It was a long and tiring day, but it's breakfast now on the next day, so back out on the road again ...


No comments:

Post a Comment